The Euroregional Economy and Education
The economy in the Euroregion is highly dependent on technically oriented companies. This same Euroregion faces a major shortage of technical personnel. One of the major causes of this shortage is a low outflow of students / pupils and early drop-out from educational institutions. There are several causes for this, e.g:
- Technology is unknown and unknown makes unloved. Parents, family and friends have a major influence on the study choices of children.
- Many teachers have little affinity / knowledge about technology in daily life.
- Technical progress in society is much faster than the adaptations within educational institutions
- Technical education subjects are often experienced as uninteresting
- Technology education is too far removed from current business life.
The Stimu-Learning Foundation is the Lead Partner in the cross-border project (EUTech) that aims to stimulate the choice of technique-oriented education and professions among youth. With Euregional partners, from the Netherlands, Flanders, Wallonia and Germany, new teaching methods, workshops and tools are developed; these can be applied by teachers in an accessible way. The products are tested in the Euregional competition "EUTech Award". The test results are scientifically evaluated and published by the partners. The target groups are primary and secondary schools.